Some years ago, on what I now call my Three-year Trip, I was in Ko Samui, Thailand planning to go out for the afternoon on motorcycles with some newly met friends. But, as a couple of the guys finished their meal under the wall-less thatched roof that was our accommodation’s restaurant, a VDO started. The guys were hooked. One of the girls and I went to get them as on the TV in front of them we watched something called a Terminator seek out Sarah Conner and kill her. It was the wrong Sarah Conner, so the VDO continued and we were hooked too, eventually needing to sit down. (So much for motorcycles that day.)
- VDO was a technology once upon a time in far away Thailand. You know it better as video tape, but the sign at our eatery and, I think in some villages in Nepal too, called it V-D-O.
- The Terminator was an ultimate piece of technology, although perhaps only imagined.
- Skynet was a made-up computer communications technology. So far we’re not calling the Internet Skynet. Let’s hope that remains the case.
- The motorcycles we didn’t ride… ok, that’s pushing the tech connection.
- And although I sat with Marianne face to face last night, it was because her facebook fan page appears in my feed, that I learned she’d been in that still-amazing movie, The Terminator.
Written in LA, where movies are life and reality.